For More...

Regions of Mozambique


Mozambique is divided into 10 provinces

Zambezia Province
Zambezia is the second most-populous province of Mozambique, located in the central coastal region south-west of Nampula Province and north-east of Sofala Province. It has a population of 3,85 million (census 2007).[1] The provincial capital is Quelimane on the Bons Sinais River.
Zambezia has a total area of 103,478 km2, much of it drained by the Zambezi River. Much of the coast consists of mangrove swamps, and there is considerable forest inland.
Agricultural products include rice, maize, cassava, cashews, sugarcane, coconuts, citrus, cotton, and tea; the country’s largest tea estates are at Gurúè. Fishing is especially productive of shrimp, and gemstones are mined at several sites.
Vasco da Gama landed at the site of Quelimane in 1498. Shortly after, the Portuguese established a permanent presence, and many moved up the Zambezi into the interior, for many years the farthest inland European presence (although over time there was much intermarrying, and few residents were of purely Portuguese descent).

 

Cabo Delgado
Cabo Delgado is the northernmost province of Mozambique. It has an area of 77,867 km² and a population of 1,893,156 (2015). As well as bordering the neighboring country of Tanzania, it borders the provinces of Nampula and Niassa. The region is an ethnic stronghold of the Makonde tribe. Macua and Mwani ethnic groups are also present.
Pemba is the capital of the province; other important cities include Montepuez and Mocimboa da Praia.
The province is named after Cape Delgado (Portuguese: Cabo Delgado), a coastal headland on the border between Mozambique and Tanzania, which forms the northernmost point in Mozambique.


Gaza Province
Gaza is a province of Mozambique. It has an area of 75,334 km² and a population of 1,416,810. Xai-Xai is the capital of the province. Inhambane Province is to the east, Manica Province to the north, Maputo Province to the south, South Africa to the west, and Zimbabwe to the northwest.
Most of the district lies in the basin of the Limpopo River, which runs from northwest to southeast through the district, emptying into the Indian Ocean near Xai-Xai. The Changane River, a tributary of the Limpopo, forms part of the province’s eastern boundary. The Rio dos Elefantes (Olifants River) flows into the district from the west through the Massingir Dam, to empty into the Limpopo.
The Save River forms the northern boundary of the province.


Inhambane Province
Inhambane is a province of Mozambique located on the coast in the southern part of the country. It has an area of 68,615 km² and a population of 1,412,349. The provincial capital is also called Inhambane.
The climate is tropical throughout, more humid along the coast and dryer inland. The coast has a number of mangrove swamps.
The town of Inhambane existed in the 10th century, and was the southernmost port used by Arabs for slave trading. The region was visited by Vasco da Gama in 1498, who claimed Inhambane Bay for Portugal. The Portuguese established a trading post at Inhambane in 1534.
The province is the second largest grower of cashews (after Nampula), and also produces coconut and citrus fruit (inspiring Mozambique’s most famous poet Craveirinha to write of “The Tasty Tangerines of Inhambane”). The long coastline supports much fishing. The Inhambane Bay area is of some interest for tourism, with a number of beaches, and one of the last remaining populations of dugong in Mozambique.


Manica Province
Manica is a province of Mozambique. It has an area of 62,272 km² and a population of 1,412,245 (2007 census). The province is surrounded by Zimbabwe in the west, Tete Province in the northwest, Sofala Province in the east, Save River in the south, and Zambezi river in the northeast. Chimoio is the capital of the province. The highest mountain in Mozambique, Mount Binga (2436 m), lies in this province near the border with Zimbabwe. The Manica province is divided into nine districts and 34 administrative regions.
The province is headed by a provincial governor who is appointed by the President. Raimundo Diomba was the governor from 2005–07, Maurício Vieira from 2007 to 2010.

Maputo City
Maputo, capital of East Africa’s Mozambique, is an Indian Ocean port with preserved Portuguese colonial architecture. Many turn-of-the-century buildings can be found in the downtown jacaranda-lined Baixa neighborhood. The bronze-domed CFM Railway Station, for example, was completed in 1916. The Baixa also has an expansive Municipal Market. It’s near the Praça da Independência plaza, site of the neoclassical city hall. Area: 133.6 mi², Population: 966,837 (1997).


Maputo Province
Maputo is a province of Mozambique; the province excludes the city of Maputo (which comprises a separate province). The province has an area of 22,693 km² and a population of 1,205,709 (2007 census). Its capital is the city of Matola.
In the northwest of the province, near the South African border is a major reservoir and dam complex, the Corumana Dam, which dams the Sabie River.
To the north of the peninsula is the Inhaca Island (Ilha da Inhaca), a 52 km² subtropical island, about 12 kilometres (7.5 mi) from north to south by 7 kilometres (4.3 mi) from east to west which separates Maputo Bay to the west from the Indian Ocean off its eastern shores. It is protected under the Lubombo Transfrontier Conservation Area, and contains the Reserva da Inhaca.


Nampula Province
Nampula is a province of northern Mozambique. It has an area of 79,010 km² and a population of 3,985,613. Nampula is the capital of the province.
Nampula Province is located in northeastern Mozambique. It is bordered on the north by Cabo Delgado Province and the Lúrio River, which the Mozambican government has plans to build a 120-megawatt hydroelectric plant on to supply electricity to the province and Cabo Delgado Province. Napula Province borders Niassa Province to the northwest and west, Zambezia Province to the southwest, and the Indian Ocean to the east. The Ligonha River separates it from Zambezia Province; the Makua peoples inhabit the area to the north of the river. From the south, the Malema River flows from the Namuli hills into the Ligonha. The Meluli River flows down through the province in a southeasterly direction, flowing into the Indian Ocean to the south of Angoche Island.


Niassa Province
Niassa is a province of Mozambique. It has an area of 122,827 km² and a population of 1,027,037. It is the most sparsely populated province in the country. Lichinga is the capital of the province. There are a minimum estimated 450,000 Yao people living in Mozambique. They largely occupy the eastern and northern part of the Niassa province and form about 40% of the population of Lichinga, the capital of this province.
The Ruvuma River forms much of the northern boundary of the province with Tanzania while Lake Niassa forms the western border of the province, separating it from Malawi. 75% of the province remains untouched by development, and remains free of landmines. The province shares the Niassa National Reserve with neighboring Cabo Delgado Province.


Sofala Province
Sofala is a province of Mozambique. It has a population of 1,642,920. Beira is the capital of the province, named for the ruined port of Sofala which is 35 kilometres to the south.
Sofala Province, in central-eastern Mozambique, covers an area of 68,018 square kilometres (26,262 sq mi). The province is bordered to the north by Tete Province, to the northeast by Zambezia Province, to the south by Inhambane Province, and to the west by Manica Province. Rivers flowing through the province include the Chiveve River, the Buzi River, the Save River, which flows along the Inhambane provincial border, and the Púnguè River, which flows into the sea at Beira. On the Urema River, a tributary of the Púnguè, the river forms the lagoon which are home to hundreds of hippopotamus.


Tete Province
Tete is a province of Mozambique. It has an area of 98,417 km² and a population of 1,783,967. Tete is the capital of the province. The Cahora Bassa Dam is situated in this province.
On March 21, 2013, Mozambique’s Assembly of the Republic authorized the creation of 13 new districts throughout the nation. Two were added to Tete.


Islands


Inhaca Island
Inhaca Island is a subtropical island of Mozambique off the East African coast. The 52 Km² Island separates Maputo Bay to the west from the Indian Ocean off its eastern shores.
The island’s irregular coastline approaches mainland Machangulo Peninsula at Ponta Torres where a 500-metre-wide (1,600 ft) tidal race separates the two headlands. In administrative terms Inhaca is a municipal district of the municipality of Maputo, while the Machangulo peninsula is included under the
Inhaca IslandLubombo Transfrontier Conservation Area and is part of the district of Matutuíne, Maputo Province.
The island’s dimensions are approximately 12 km (n-s) by 7 km (e-w). The highest point above sea level is the 104-metre (341 ft) Mount Inhaca on the north-eastern shoreline. The south-western peninsula is known as Ponta Punduine while Ponta Torres to the south-east approaches the mainland. Two inland swamps occur at the northerly airstrip and southern Nhaquene respectively. Besides Inhaca settlement on the western shore there are five smaller villages including Inguane, Nhaquene, Ridjeni and Tobia.
Just a few thousand years ago, the island formed part of the continent of Africa, then changing sea levels and wave action eroded a channel that eventually set Inhaca adrift in the Indian Ocean. Today this channel is known as The Gap, or the more notoriously sounding Hells Gate, due to its wave action and ever changing sand bank formations making it sometimes impossible for boats to pass through. Larger animals like African elephants and hippos gradually died out due to lack of food, and today the islands wildlife consists of the pristine mangroves and reefs and about 300 species of birds including those of conservation concern such as; Pink-backed Pelican, Lesser Crested Tern, Crab Plover, Greater Sand Plover, Mongolian Plover, Terek Sandpiper, Southern Banded Snake Eagle, Mangrove Kingfisher, Grey-rumped Swallow and Spotted Ground-Thrush.

History
Despite being a part of the Portuguese Colony of Mozambique until 1975, the island of Inhaca, so close to the harbour of Maputo, was occupied by the British from 1823 until the Mac Mahon Treaty of 24 July 1875. The British used the island (amongst many others all around Africa) to patrol and control the slave traffic in the region.


Portuguese islandPortuguese island
Portuguese Island is a small, uninhabited, sandy island situated at the edge of Maputo Bay, very close to Inhaca Island. Portuguese Island is sandy with light vegetation. The beachsands are great for going for a walk on, but do wear shoes, as the sand can get very hot in summer.

Top things to do on the Portuguese island
Portuguese island is a perfect getaway for families or friends looking for the original island experience. The key to making the most of this day trip is to enjoy the primitive charm of beach and clear warm water. Top tip: Usually most people flock to the closest spot once getting off the boat, but we recommend taking a stroll past the local vendors, buy some Tipo Tinto (Mozambiquan rum) and head to a spot further on, where it’s less crowded to chill and relax in the lukewarm water. Remember an umbrella and sunscreen, as a long day in the sun can leave you looking like a crayfish! Umbrellas can be organised onboard.
Try a boat trip with a difference, it being in a traditional dhow boat.

Comments are closed.