For More...

Museums and Heritage

The Fort of São Sebastião on the Island of Mozambique is the oldest complete fort still standing in sub-Saharan Africa. Construction by the Portuguese began in 1558, and it took about fifty years to complete. Immediately beyond the fort is the recently restored Chapel of Nossa Senhora de Baluarte, built in 1522, which is considered to be the oldest European building in the southern hemisphere. It is also one of the best examples of Manueline vaulted architecture in Mozambique.

  

National Money Museum, For any state, its currency represents one of the greatest symbols of its history and of its culture. It also has the power to reveal the level of development of a country and at the same time to be a barometer for political and socio-economic relations between nations. With the importance of this preeminent medium of exchange in mind, on June 15, 1987 the National Money Museum was opened. The building housing it has great symbolic value. Located in the praca 25 de Junho, It is belived that it was built sometime around 1860, in what was then Laurenco Marques. It is known as a Yellow House and is possibly the oldest building in Maputo.

The Cathedral of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception is a Roman Catholic cathedral in downtown Maputo, the capital of Mozambique. The cathedral is located on Praça da Independência next to Hotel Rovuma and Maputo City Hall. It is dedicated to Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception. The foundation stone for the construction of the church was laid on June 28, 1936, and is located inside the narthex and inscribed by the Bishop of Mozambique and Cape Verde, D. Rafael Maria da Asunção. Construction on the cathedral was completed in 1944.

Maputo, Mozambique’s Natural History Museum is housed inside a beautiful old building with nicely kept gardens. The collection includes many artifacts you would expect to find in a natural history museum, including descriptions of animal migration, ancient pottery, and a small ethnology exhibit, but it is also home to elephant foetuses and dioramas full of neon water. While the building housing the museum features a number of exhibits, but the largest amount of space is given to its aging taxidermy centerpiece. A majority of the ground floor is a crowded arrangement of preserved animals native to this part of Africa.

The Church of San Antonio de la Polana, (Iglesia de la Polana) or Church of the Polana is a religious building located in the city of Maputo , Mozambique of modernist architecture , built in 1962 according to the project architect Portuguese Cavreiro Nuno Lopes. It is shaped like inverted flower, however it is known to many as the ‘Lemon Squeezer’. This church was restored in 1992.

Fisheries Museum On November 13, 2014 Mozambican president Armando Guebuza officially opened the Fisheries Museum, located in downtown Maputo, next to the port. The Museum was financed in large part by Norway, as part of our longstanding cooperation with Mozambique in the fisheries sector.

Comments are closed.